Friday, June 19

Eli what a JOY!














Now that we have had some sleep I can actually tell you the amazing story of Eli's birth!! Venessa was going to be induced (she was already at 40 weeks) on MON, an hour before she was to go in she went into labor. They had her continue naturally with contractions every 3-5 min apart for the next 7 hours. CRAZY!!! But she was a trooper, never complaining and breathing through all the contractions...







They finally gave her an epidural around 2 and potosin right after... she started to have contractions regularly and then the doctor came in an broke her water at 4. We were in the birthing room. (She is SO amazing...wanted us to be a part of everything. She repeatedly told us that she felt she was making a good choice and all afternoon during her labor I was able to talk to her about her feelings and share mine). I held one of her legs as her mom held the other, four pushes with the nurse and two with the Dr. and Eli was born!

Stephen of course stayed up near her head the whole time! :) but was able to cut the cord... (GROSS!) J.K. She held him and they cleaned him up a bit. Then they gave him to me.

As I looked into his eyes and felt the spirit fill me I knew this child was mine. He was my little boy. He had finally come to me after all of these years. It would have never been possible for me to have him if Venessa had not been here. I was so filled with joy and love I could never express in words. As I looked around the room for Stephen I knew we finally had a family. An eternal family. I cried and cried, I don't really remember much else but the feeling of happiness. Stephen later shared that everyone was crying and that my face "looked like someone's who had run a marathon... you know when they have been training and training and when they finally reach the finish line..."

We soon learned that Eli had broken his left clavical on the way out. He was crying and in a lot of pain. Everytime he moved he really let a scream (like a monkey actually, mouth wide open too!) Anyway, Stephen was holding him and I could see something was wrong. He looked so serious and solemn. I asked him if he was alright and he just looked up and said, call your dad he needs a blessing. I know Stephen is going to be an amazing father. Although he was not able to take his sons pain away he did all he could and when they gave him a blessing he immediately calmed and didn't show any additional distress from it. It was very sobering for me to see Stephen like that, I've never seen him more serious or concerned. But I was so proud and filled with love to see how he used the priesthood to guide his little family!

I stayed with Venessa overnight and then she had some time with Eli the next night. He came home Wed. afternoon. We had a little get together. If you have never been a part of a placement it is very hard to explain. It is sad, happy, joy and most of SPIRITUAL of all experiences in my life! Members of my family, Stephen's and hers were there to share how this experience has meant to them.

Venessa, my sister and my friend. You have given me something I will never forget. You have sacrificed so much and I know that Heavenly Father will bless you. He has blessed me with knowing you and for that I will always be grateful. You are forever a part of our lives and I look forward to the time we will spend together as a "family".